On November 30th, 2022 OpenAI came out with its cutting-edge Chat GPT chatbox. If Chat CPT lives up to its promise it will cause a tectonic shift in our lives. The appearance of Chat GPT is said to rival Google in its utility and has taken the world by storm attracting over 1 million users in just five days. Chat GPT appears ready to turn things upside down by impacting various occupations such as law, journalism, translations, and social media marketing. It works like Google in that you type a question into a box and hit enter. The chatbox displays the answer, usually in essay format, responding to the question posed. Let’s take a look at how Chat GPT can impact U.S. immigration as an example of what can be expected.
12 Ways Chat GPT Will Change U.S. immigration law
1. Exploring Immigration Options
Immigrants might ask Chat GPT to outline what kinds of immigration options they have for immigrating to the United States. Then, they might ask to present the answer in a table format. Then applicants might ask Chat GPT to detail the requirements for a specific work visa and what will need to be included in an application. Chat GPT will respond as requested in real-time.
2. Explaining Legislation
Applicants for immigration benefits will be able to ask Chat GPT to explain immigration legislation in a simplified form. For example, investor immigrants might ask Chat GPT to explain the recent U.S. EB-5 Reform and Integrity Act of 2022 to better understand what is required of them in this manner. The simplified resulting version will make life much easier for the viewer who is spared the agony of reading the densely worded act and explanations.
3. Specialized Instructions
Immigration applicants will be able to ask Chat GPT to provide them with a specialized instruction guide on how they should prepare their immigrant applications to ensure the most likely approval of their cases. For example, this might include a request for a “Possible Table of Contents for an introduction to the U.S. E-2 work visa.” Chat GPT will type out the table. Then the applicant will be able to study up on the visa by typing in the various subtitles or dig deeper into any particular aspect of the visa, such as the quickest way to get one.
4. Preparing Persuasive Resumes
Chat CPT will be able to help applicants prepare persuasive resumes, for example by listing skills, education, experience, and projects undertaken by gathering the information from online sources or from letters or text provided in written format to Chat CPT. Users will be able to type in requirements for positions and ask Chat CPT to reformat resumes to match the requirements listed better.
5. Preparing Covering Letters
Chat CPT will be able to help applicants prepare cover letters drafted in a way that will reference their geographic locations, or expertise, or other items matching them up with the purpose of the letters.
6. Doing Business Plans
Chat CPT will be to help investor immigrant applicants prepare business plans for their proposed investment. For example, an immigrant investor proposing to buy a Holiday Inn Hotel in North Carolina will be able to ask Chat CPT to prepare the plan to apply for an E-2 visa for such a hotel using information published about Holiday Inns online.
7. Helping To Learn English
Chat GPT will be able to help applicants prepare for English and other language tests, such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) by providing examples of questions previously asked and answered. Indeed, the chatbox will be useful for learning new languages. For example, the chatbox could be asked, “What is the quickest way to learn the conjugations of verbs in Spanish?”
8. Preparing Country Profiles For Asylum Claimants
Chat GPT will be available to asylum claimants to prepare detailed country profile information to strengthen submissions related to their claim of having a well-founded fear of persecution in escaping from their home country.
9. Preparing Personalized Histories Of Applicants
Government adjudicators of immigration applications will be able to use Chat GPT to prepare a complete history of an applicant to verify the truth of answers to application forms and immigration submissions. Similarly, in depositions, attorneys will be able to search out deponent histories to test the veracity of their evidence.
10. Finding The Whereabouts Of People
Chat GPT will help users search to find people and their backgrounds such as lost relatives who could sponsor them.
11. Legal Research
Chat GPT can search for key precedents, provide model pleadings and outline legal arguments for cases headed to immigration courts or the federal courts.
Chat GPT will be able to translate documents for submission with immigration applications.
Chat GPT is still in beta mode and is offered for free to collect feedback on how to improve it. Its input is only up to date to 2021 and therefore it is not able to answer questions about current affairs or make projections about the future. Eventually, it will be made available commercially. You can try it here. It’s great!
To conclude here is a copy of a question and answer I posed to Chat GPT about this article:
What outline would be best to introduce the benefits of Chat GPT to immigrants?
Here is the actual Chat GPT answer:
Here is an outline that you could use to introduce the benefits of Chat GPT to immigrants:
- Introduction: Begin by explaining what Chat GPT is and why it might be useful for immigrants. You could mention that Chat GPT is a language model that can generate human-like text, and that it could potentially be used to assist with tasks such as answering frequently asked questions or generating documents.
- Benefits: Next, outline the benefits of using Chat GPT for immigrants. For example, you could mention that Chat GPT could help immigrants save time by automating certain tasks, or that it could help them access information more easily. You could also mention that Chat GPT could potentially help immigrants navigate complex legal processes more effectively.
- Examples: Provide some specific examples of how Chat GPT could be used by immigrants. For example, you could mention that it could be used to generate personalized responses to questions about the immigration process, or to generate documents such as visas or green card applications.
- Limitations: It’s important to be upfront about the limitations of Chat GPT as well. For example, you could mention that it is not a substitute for legal advice, and that immigrants should always review any documents generated by Chat GPT before submitting them.
- Conclusion: Summarize the main points of your introduction to Chat GPT, and encourage immigrants to consider using it as a tool to assist with their immigration needs.